Graaff-Reinet Tourist Attractions Sightseeing
Graaff-Reinet Tourist Attractions Sightseeing

Graaff-Reinet Tourist Attractions Sightseeing

  • Dedicated to Boer soldiers "in memory of the fallen in the struggle for Freedom and Justice".
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The fossil collection that was started by Dr. Sydney Rubidge is the pride and joy of Wellwood and is housed in a building on the farm. While the Karoo can boast many attractions, this is one that should not be missed.
    Phone: 049 840 0302
    Visit Website
  • The Drostdy at Graaff-Reinet was established in response to petitions from the Boers of the region. On 6 February 1795 a gathering proclaimed the "Graaff-Reinet Colony"
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • In 1988 South Africa celebrated the 300th anniversary of the arrival of the French Huguenots in the country. To mark this occasion a small monument in the form of a pyramid was erected in Church Square, Graaff Reinet.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The monument commemorates the Union of South Africa and is a stone pyramid erected on Magazine Hill.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • Due to discontent in the congregation a split occurred in the Groot Kerk. The main cause of the breakaway segment’s dissatisfaction seems to have been centered on the autocratic personality of the Rev Naude.
    Phone: 049 - 892 3460
  • The scaled-down replica of the Paardekraal monument was erected south of the bridge over the Sundays River.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • This monument in memory of the Voortrekker leader was erected in 1943. The monument can be seen about 3 km from the town, at the Camdeboo National Park Offices on the N9 to Middelburg, the route to the north and into the interior, which the...
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • Three months after the end of the first World War a public meeting was called by the Mayor, Mr. H Urquhart, at which it was decided to erect a monument, on the most prominent site in town, in honour of the gallant Graaff-Reinet men who had lost...
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The first recorded church was in Church Street. Building of a church started in 1792 but was destroyed by fire in 1799 before it could be completed. A second church was completed in September 1800 on the site of the present Dutch Reformed Church or...
    Phone: 049 892 2422
  • Te Water House More Info
    Graaff-Reinet
    This is one of the many wing-type houses that existed in the centre of the town. H-shaped and probably dating from 1820 the gables have been clipped and the façade woodwork added in about 1870.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • During the Anglo-Boer War Gideon Scheepers formed his own commando, which operated in the Cape Midlands. He was captured by the British troops and charges of alleged war crimes were laid against him. At the court hearings in Graaff-Reinet he was...
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The old powder magazine stands alone on the hill to the north of Graaff Reinet.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The present day Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception in Bourke Street, between Somerset and Middle Streets, was consecrated on the 23rd April 1957 and the High Alter on the 24th April 1957. First class relics of St Pius X and St Maria...
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • In 1871 the foundation stone of the Trinity Church on the corner of Caledon and Bourke Streets was laid and on the 15 September 1875 the official opening of the church took place. In 1894 it was necessary to enlarge the building and at the same time...
    Phone: 049 892 2366
  • The twenty biblical scenes in the Dutch Reformed Church hall of Aberdeen were planned and lovingly created by mainly the senior citizens of the town. The scenes portray the history of God's Covenant with mankind. A group of five ladies - and for...
    Phone: 049 846 0161
  • On the 26 June 1902 the foundation stone of the new Town Hall in Church Square named “The Victoria Hall” was laid but building operations only started in April 1910. The town hall was designed along Flemish Renaissance lines.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The oldest original church building in use is St James’ Church situated in Somerset Street. The original church consisting of the present nave was built and consecrated on the 29 October 1850. The chancel and sanctuary were added in 1868 and...
    Phone: 049- 892 2458
  • In 1875 The Graaff Reinet Club was established and in 1880 a new clubhouse was erected on Church Square. From 1900-1902 the officers of the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards, stationed at Graaff Reinet, made use of the club.
    Phone: 049 892 4094
  • The Camdeboo Fallen Heroes Monument is situated at the entrance to the town on the Middelburg Road and is dedicated to those activists who suffered in the apartheid regime.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The San and Khoi Memorial which stands of a hill on the Aberdeen Road approach to the town dedicated to the Hottentots and Bushmen that lost their lives to conflicting interests with farmers between 1702 and 1809.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The original foundation stone for this building situated on the corner of Bourke and Middle Streets was laid on the 9th July 1913. After undergoing many transformations including being used as a cinema the building was reconsecrated on the 21 May...
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • The important role played by the Jewish "smous" in the sparsely populated interior of the Cape Colony is recognised in a simple monument erected alongside College Road.
    Phone: 049 892 4248
  • Sheer cliffs and precariously balanced columns of Dolerite rise 120 metres from the valley floor, against the timeless backdrop of the vast plains of the Camdeboo. This is the product of volcanic and erosive forces of nature over 100 million years.
    Phone: 049 892 3453
    Visit Website

Website Graphic Design by PROPIX
Website Development, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) by ZAWebs Designs | Web Hosting by ZAWebs Hosting