St James’ Anglican Church
Last Updated: 3 months ago
- 049- 892 2458
35 Somerset Street, Graaff-Reinet 6280
- Longitude: 24.536636
- Latitude: -32.250891
07h30 Morning Service
09h00 Holy Communion
About St James’ Anglican Church
The oldest original church building in use is St James’ Church situated in Somerset Street. The original church consisting of the present nave was built and consecrated on the 29 October 1850.
The chancel and sanctuary were added in 1868 and consecrated in 1870 whilst the entrance porch was added in 1874. The interior fittings date from different periods; the pews from 1885, the alter and reredos from 1891 and the pulpit from 1935.
After the First World War the chancel screen was carved and installed in memory of those who had served in the war. The previous organ chamber was converted in the late 1970s into a Lady Chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary.