The Roman Catholic Church
Last Updated: April 2015
74 Bourke Street, Graaff-Reinet 6280
- Longitude: 24.534204
- Latitude: -32.253859
About The Roman Catholic Church
The present day Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception in Bourke Street, between Somerset and Middle Streets, was consecrated on the 23rd April 1957 and the High Altar on the 24th April 1957. First class relics of St Pius X and St Maria Goretti are buried in the alter.
It would appear that there was an older church on this site as mention is made of Rev Father Lennon’s remains being placed in the R.C Church of the Im. Conception by Rev. Father J. Coffey assisted by the members of the congregation and on 6th September 1870 an instruction was received by Father Coffey to pay off the mortgage on the property.
On the 25th June 1894 the Convent next to the church was opened with seven sisters.