Architectural features in Graaff-Reinet
Centred front doors with the same number of windows on either side.
Old windows with small window panes set close to the outside wall to allow for deep window sills inside.
Fanlights to give light to the central passage when the front door is closed.
Wooden shutters to shield the windows from the Karoo heat.
Some interesting personalities
Lived in Te Water House it was built by Dr Krebbs an emigrant from Germany and when he died Mr. F.K. Te Water married the wealthy widow Krebbs.
Frans Karl Te Water was born in Brussels. For health reasons he sailed for the Cape of Good Hope at the age of 18 to become a private tutor for a family in the Bedford district. Not happy there he was returning home via Graaff Reinet when he noticed an advertisement for the post of Town Clerk an was duly appointed. He subsequently became well set up as an auctioneer and general agent: In the 1860’s the town suffered a severe depression. F.k.Te Water was Chairman of the Municipal Board in 1865. His uncompromising and resolute decisions did much for the survival of the town. Later he represented Graaff Reinet on the Cape Legislative Council in 1869. The Te Water family occupied this house for almost a hundred years and two of his daughters Mrs Keegan and Mrs Goldman fondly known as “Aunt J” and “Aunt T” are remembered to this day. On one occasion “Aunt J” showed her disapproval of a municipal decision to chop down an oak tree alongside her house. On the appointed morning she took a chair and sat in front of the tree and nothing or nobody could budge her. The tree was not chopped down.
HISTORY ON ABERDEEN
Anglo Boer War History
Dutch Reformed Church History
Biblical Panels in Church Hall
Christian and Jewish Cemetries
For further information on the above visit the official Aberdeen Tourism web site
HISTORY ON NIEU-BETHEDA
History of Nieu-Bethesda
The Owl House
The Old Mill
The Old Church
For further information on the above visit the official Nieu-Bethesda Tourism web site